Camilo Salcedo exited a courtroom on Monday afternoon to begin his defense of his fight to keep his house from being evicted.
Sesto said he was waiting to enter a plea with prosecutors.
I’m ready to go to trial, he said, adding he has been in contact with his attorneys and is optimistic.
He had been scheduled to appear before a judge on Monday, but that hearing was postponed after he was found unconscious at his house in the St. Johns County neighborhood of Clearwater on Friday.
The case has prompted calls for a special prosecutor in the state’s Florida Attorney General’s Office.
The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is investigating, and the state Department of Children and Families is assisting with the investigation.
On Monday, Salceda told the judge that he was confident the state would prevail in its case against him.
He said he and his wife had lived in the home for eight years.
Sestos attorney, James Hensley, argued that the state had ample evidence that Salcedos financial problems had caused the house to be sold to a company, and he urged a judge to impose the maximum penalty allowable.
Salcedo said his legal team will seek to show that the court should have imposed a penalty on the home and that the house should have been destroyed.
He added that he did not want to fight the eviction because he is sick of being forced to leave.
“I want to live my life, I want to be a husband and a father, and I don’t want to spend my time fighting this,” Salcedes lawyer said.
“I’ve been through this before and I’m ready for the outcome.”
A judge ordered that the case be transferred to the State Attorney’s Office on Monday.
A spokesman for the Attorney General said the office is reviewing the decision.